Today I am sharing my recipe for homemade granola. After many years of trying all different brands, spending upwards of $6 per box, and hurting my teeth on hard store bought granola, I finally put my foot down.
Why was it so hard to make good granola?! The granola in the stores were either too hard or had too much fluff like almonds, cranberries, coconut shavings, etc. which would be nice for a snack, but I primarily use my granola to top off my Greek yogurt. I needed something simple and affordable. After a plethora of google searches on recipes my initial reaction was shock. Really? Granola is basically toasted oatmeal in honey? Say what?! Why was I paying for this stuff?
Now I have been making my own granola for about a year and it has become a Sunday ritual that I have become accustomed to. I sometimes add sliced nuts or switch up the sweetness by using maple syrup instead of honey. It’s become second nature that I don’t even measure anything anymore! Woohoo!
So here is my Homemade Vanilla Granola Recipe. Give it a try, I am sure you will be hooked and you will say why havent I been doing this all along!
- 3 cups Rolled oats (not instant, it won’t come out the same)
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1-2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon of Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Almond Slices or any type of nuts (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 375 F
- In a medium sized bowl mix vegetable oil, cinnamon, and vanilla with a rubber spatula until evenly combined
- Slowly add in rolled oats and combine ingredients
- Once the rolled oats are evenly coated mix in nuts if desired
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat (I love my silpat) pour the mixture and evenly spread the oats onto the baking sheet
- Bake for 10 minutes and gently stir and flip over the granola and put back in the oven for another 7-10 minutes or until the granola is nice and golden
- Take granola out of oven and mix around the granola (so it doesn’t stick together) and let cool
- Once cool, enjoy now or store in an airtight container to use during the week