Who loves Olive Garden? Me, me, me!! Although, I am not a huge fan of Olive Garden’s pasta dishes, I do love their soups and salads, especially their Zuppa Toscana soup. However, I am not a fan of the sometimes outrageous prices at restaurants for simple foods like soup and salad. So, today I am sharing my version of this delicious and somewhat healthy soup (we are eating kale, right? lol). If you have never had Zuppa Toscano then let me break it down for you. It’s a creamy and savory soup with spicy Italian sausage, kale, and potatoes! It’s my absolute favorite soup, well besides mutton and steam corn stew. Ha! It’s the perfect fancy and easy meal for those cold winter nights.
I like simple and versatile recipes. So, feel free to change up the ingredients. Don’t have chicken broth on hand? Use water instead. If you are being health conscious you could easily use turkey sausage and leave out the heavy cream. Either way, it’s a very quick and simple soup that I make year round. Serve with some freshly baked bread or crackers and enjoy. This recipe also makes for good leftovers as well and it makes your kitchen smell like you are in a fancy Italian restaurant!
If you make this, please send me a picture on Facebook or Instagram, I would love to see. Or tag me in a picture and use the #TheFancyNavajo. Let me know if you have your own version of this recipe. Do you add anything different?
Fancy Navajo Recipe: Sausage, Kale, and Potato Soup
- 1 package of ground Spicy Italian Sausage (if using links, remove casing)
- Chopped Kale (4 -5 large handfuls but really up to your preference)
- 3-4 sliced Russet Potatoes
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 32oz Chicken Broth or water works just as well too!
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves minced
- Garlic Salt (Optional)
- Parmesan Cheese (Optional)
- In a large pot, brown Spicy Italian Sausage in a large pot with a lid
- Once sausage is browned, add in sliced potatoes and minced garlic and let cook for about 2-3 minutes or until potatoes start to glisten
- Add in Chicken Broth, you may need to add additional broth or water if needed
- Let soup cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or until potatoes can be broken with a spoon
- Turn down heat and add in Kale, cover, and let cook for 3 minutes
- Add in Heavy Cream and reduce heat to a simmer. Let cook for another 3 minutes.
- Optional, add garlic salt if needed
- Optional, top with parmesan cheese